Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Autorecovery on Public PCs

Autorecovery should work on the public PCs, provided the patron's been typing a few minutes. The guys have configured Word to do an autorecovery save into the D Drive. If a patron's computer loses power in the middle of their unsaved work, you can try the following:

  1. Have them log back in (should be able to click on "Click here if your session was interrupted" and just enter PIN).
  2. Open Word.
  3. File-->Open (should open the D drive's files folder)
  4. Use the "Files of type" dropdown arrow to select "All Files"
  5. Look for a file named something to the effect of "Autorecovery save of Document..." Most likely it will be "Autorecovery save of Document 1.asd"

I saw Jeff do this for a young woman today, and I experimented myself and it worked for me, too.
From Jeff: The autorecovery threshold is set to every 1 minute. From my experience, it works about 90% of the time.

No comments: